Monday, May 19, 2008

I'm pooped.........

the youngest is on a health kick, came around this arvo to cook portion controlled mini meals for the next 2 days, he is to have 6 mini meals a day.
We did broccoli frittata, broccoli soup, tuna and vegetable casserole and then the lamb roast for dinner. It was all go there for a bit.

And what the heck is this broccoli thing?......I couldn't get broccoli onto his plate when he was a kid.........sheesh..........

He researched the recipes and couldn't find one for broccoli soup, so when his back was turned I slapped a soup together, thinking this will not suit at all, he loved it!!..........I'm gobsmacked. In fact I'm was so gobsmacked I forgot to get a pic of anything. Well actually I did remember when I was putting the soup into jars, but green runny stuff? umm.......no ta.

Anyway in case there is someone else out there interested in Broccoli soup this is how I did it.

chop 1 large brown onion
finely chop 2-3 cloves garlic
chop 1 medium sized head of broccoli, including the entire stalk
finely slice 5-6 basil leaves
sweat the onion, garlic and broccoli stalks in olive oil until beginning to soften, add the sliced basil and the chopped head of the broccoli and cook until the broccoli turns a brighter green.
Pour in about a liter of good chicken stock, simmer until the broccoli is really soft. If it looks like the fluid is getting a bit sparse add more, either stock or water. Puree. I used one of those stick blender things straight into the saucepan, adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
The idea is to have a free flowing but not watery soup.
As I said, he loved it.
I'm mystified.

No comments: