Friday, April 11, 2008

Two Fast Dinners

Wednesdays dinner was the old fav, Penne pasta with wilted rocket/spinach and prosciutto. Fast and Easy.

This my version of a Donna Hay recipe from her excellent book "the instant cook"

for two servings I use:
200g penne
4 slices prosciutto
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
50g baby rocket, rocket or baby english spinach leaves
black pepper
some freshly grated parmesan and a few slices of same
And this is the way I do it:

Either grill prosciutto or pan fry, I use a dry non stick wok, with the prosciutto on the sides so that the fat can drain to the bottom.
Cook the pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain, place washed leaves in saucepan used to cook pasta, put drained pasta over the leaves.
Chop or crumble the cooked prosciutto into the pasta, and sprinkle the grated parmesan over.
Shake the vinegar and oil in a jar and pour over, toss all together.
Serve in bowls with the sliced parmesan on top. Add your own cracked pepper. Always good.

I think I have found another "I don't wanna cook" dish.
I found this jar of Green Curry Paste at the Fruiters, there is a web site: http://www.christinemanfield.com/


And inside the jar...........


This was the result, yummo, got a big thumbs up from the Darling. Will definitely be doing this again. The Jar was just under $12 and I used about a quarter to make 4 servings, 2 dinner and 2 lunches for today.
So not only easy but very economical.

This is how I did it.
Chopped 1 onion and 2 single chicken breasts into chunks, popped into pan with a little oil to brown, added chunked vegies that were around, pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, beans, dried peas (of course) and brocolli stalk- yep, just the stalk, Darling Heart won't eat brocolli so at every opportunity I finely dice the stalk and add to whatever.

All of this was browned in the pan together and then I added a can of light coconut milk, cooked until done and stirred in some sliced fresh basil leaves. Served it with some steamed Doongara long grain rice.
There are other suggestions of the jar that definitely need to be explored.

No comments: